Some of the key technologies highlighted in the report include:
- 5G and 6G networks: These next-generation networks will enable new immersive virtual environments and extended reality (XR) applications.
- Blockchain and micro-credentials: These technologies could redefine the way in which learning assessment and competence certification are organised.
- Learning analytics: The mining of data in education could reinforce and inform the development of new pedagogical approaches, learning technologies, and education policy.
- Artificial intelligence (AI): AI systems could support the development of capabilities for learning as they become ‘smart companions’, ‘learning partners’, or ‘cognitive tools’.
Emerging Technologies for Education
One of the key technologies highlighted in the report is 5G, which is expected to open up new opportunities for immersive virtual environments and extended reality (XR) applications. The report also anticipates that the rollout of the 6G standard will lead to a new paradigm of synchronisation and blending of the physical and the digital, which could have a profound impact on teaching and learning.
Another key trend highlighted in the report is the growth of micro-credentials, which are verifiable digital credentials that can be used to demonstrate skills and knowledge. The report anticipates that micro-credentials will gain ground in a context where all citizens need to engage in continuous development and upskilling.
The authors also discuss the potential impact of artificial intelligence (AI) on education and note that AI systems have reached a level of maturity where they can now mimic and even outperform humans at certain tasks. In particular, the potential impact of generative AI and foundation models on education are highlighted.
As a conclusion the importance of understanding the flows of personal data is emphasised that result from the interaction between students and computer systems. The authors argue that this is an essential requirement for anyone making decisions regarding the introduction of emerging technologies in educational settings.
Overall, the report provides a valuable overview of the emerging technologies and trends that have the potential to significantly impact education in the coming years. One of the main points in the report focuses on the importance of regulating technological innovation and understanding the flows of personal data in order to ensure that these technologies are used in a way that benefits all students.
- Emerging technologies are rapidly changing the way we live and work, and education is no exception.
- A new report has identified a series of emerging technologies with high potential to influence education.
- These technologies include 5G and 6G networks, blockchain and micro-credentials, learning analytics, and artificial intelligence.
- The report also discusses the potential implications of these technologies for learning theory and educational policy.
- It concludes by highlighting the importance of regulating technological innovation and connecting industrial policy with theories of learning and education policy.
Learn more about interactive books from SOE PublishingLab Makerspace – four video presentations – click below
Information from B-InteraQtive Publishing
We offer a wide range of services, including:
- Counselling: We can help you assess your needs and develop a plan for your digital learning project.
- Development: We can create custom digital learning experiences that meet your specific goals.
- Knowledge management: We can help you improve your organisation’s knowledge management practices.
- Interactive books: We can create interactive books that engage and motivate learners.